No wonder that blonde braids on black hair are popping up on Instagram and trending on YouTube these days. This is one of those protective hairstyles that are simply timeless!
It dates back to more than three thousand years ago in Africa. And today, we have not only perfected but also innovated this hairstyle to look more beautiful, modern, chic, playful, and fun.
If you are dying to try blonde braids on black hair, then you came exactly to the right place.
In this article, I am going to show you the different stunning ways to pull off this hairstyle. Also, I am going to teach you how to do your own and take care of your blonde braids on black hair.
Ready? Let’s start!
You may like to read: Why You Need Pre Stretched Braiding Hair For Your Braids
Introducing Blonde Braids on Black Hair
Blonde braids on black hair style is a type of protective hairstyle that involves two processes. First is sectioning the natural hair to form boxes or a brick pattern. The second is braiding each sectioned natural hair with strands of synthetic blonde hair.
Like your traditional locs, twists, and halo braids on black hair, blonde braids also gather hair together to minimize the tugging, pulling, and exposure to environmental stressors that cause hair breakage and damage. The blonde synthetic hair not only wraps the natural hair for protection but also creates hot and gorgeous long blonde plaits that makes you stand out on all occasions.
Types of Blonde Braids on Black Hair
There are two types of blonde braids on black hair. These are the traditional blonde box braids on black hair and the blonde knotless braids on black hair. Although these two may look identical, the installation, weight, and maintenance are different.
Blonde Box Braids on Black Hair
First, I am going to talk about is the blonde box braids on black hair. As the name suggests, the hair is sectioned into small squares that look like boxes before it is braided with blonde synthetic hair.
In the traditional blonde box braids on black hair process, the strands of synthetic hair are all installed at the roots of the natural hair. The technique involves creating a knot to secure the synthetic hair in place. Then together, the natural hair and the blonde hair are braided from the roots up to the ends.
Pros of Blonde Box Braids on Black Hair:
- Faster to install
- Faster to take down
- Synthetic hair can be reused after take down
- Less frizziness
- Synthetic blonde hair completely wraps around the natural hair
Cons of Blonde Box Braids on Black Hair:
- Requires more synthetic blonde hair
- Feels heavier on the scalp
- Tight on the scalp
- Can be uncomfortable when sleeping
- More prone to molds
Blonde Knotless Braids on Black Hair
Second is the blonde knotless braids on black hair. Like the traditional box braids, the hair is also sectioned into small squares that look like boxes before it is braided with blonde synthetic hair.
But what makes the knotless braid different is the installation procedure. The traditional box braids knot and secure all the synthetic hair on the roots. Whereas the knotless braids involve gradual adding of multiple thin strands of synthetic blonde hair as you braid your way down the natural hair. This means that you will not add the blonde synthetic hair at the roots all at once. Rather, you are slowly incorporating the synthetic blonde hair every after 2 to 4 plaits.
Pros of Blonde Knotless Braids on Black Hair:
- Feels lighter on the scalp
- Less tension on the scalp
- More comfortable to sleep with
- Requires less synthetic blonde hair
- Natural hair is more exposed and easier to maintain
Cons of Blonde Knotless Braids on Black Hair:
- Easy to get frizzy
- Takes longer to install
- Takes longer to take down
- Synthetic hair cannot be reused after take down
Blonde Braids On Black Hair Hairstyles
Now that you know what are the two types of blonde braids on black hair that you can choose from, let us move on to gorgeous style inspirations.
Honey Blonde Braids On Black Hair With Gold Clips
The thing that I love about blonde braids on black hair is they are already beautiful to begin with. That is why when it comes to styling, most of the time, flaunting your braids and letting them naturally flow down your shoulders is the best way to wear them. You can also add gold clips to give those hot honey blonde some chic accents.
Blonde Knotless Braids On Black Hair With Bandana
Add more character to those blonde knotless braids on black hair! Wear them in half-up and half-down ponytail and accessorize it with a scarf or bandana. This hairstyle is an absolute stand out come your next outdoor adventure and concert night party.
High Bun Platinum Blonde Box Braids On Black Hair
If you are attending formal gatherings, then this hairstyle is definitely for you. Wear your platinum blonde braids on black hair in a high bun to exude elegance and sophistication. This hairstyle allows you to attract a balance attention both on your face and hair.
High Ponytail Blonde Braids On Black Hair
Let’s face it! Sometimes blonde box braids on black hair can be a little bit heavy. Great thing that you can also wear this hairstyle on a high ponytail like Ariana Grande’s hair signature. This will not only help you support the weight of the braids but also make you absolutely gorgeous.
Jumbo Knotless Braids on Black Hair
If you prefer an outgoing and casual-looking blonde braids on black hair, then go jumbo! This hairstyle is definitely easier and faster to make. You only need to do 4 to 10 blonde knotless braids and that’s it. This look gives-off an effortless, sporty and fun vibe.
Who can wear blonde braids on black hair?
Both the blonde box braids on black hair and the blonde knotless braids on black hair work well with all hair lengths and all hair types. Whether you have short, medium-length, long, straight, wavy, curly or coily hair, blonde braids on black hair is suitable for you. That said, I want to emphasize that those with type 3 and type 4 will likely benefit the most out of this protective hairstyle.
How to make blonde braids on black hair?
Most of the time, blonde braids on black hair are done in the salon. But since the pandemic lockdowns, more people are getting used to doing their own blonde box braids on blakc hair or blonde knotless braids on black hair. In this section, I will teach you how to create your own version of blonde braids.
Step 1: Begin with your hair care routine
Before starting any hairstyle, it is important to shampoo, condition, towel dry, air dry and blow dry your hair. Then, brush your hair thoroughly to remove the frizz and tangles. Apply leave-in conditioner or light oil to moisturize your hair.
Step 2: Prepare your synthetic blonde hair
After preparing your natural hair, it is time to prepare your synthetic blonde hair. You will need 1 to 3 packs of blonde pre-stretched hair extensions. You can also mix different shades of blonde to achieve your desired color. Below are the best selling blonde hair extensions that you can use.
Best Blonde Braids on Black Hair
Step 3: Separate synthetic blonde hair into thin strands
Brush the blonde synthetic hair and separate them into thin strands using a braid holder. The braid holder will allow you to work efficiently.
Best Blonde Braids on Black Hair Holder
Step 4: Section your hair
Divide your hair into sections using your brush and rat tail comb. Start parting your hair into 4 equal sections and then divide those sections into smaller squares. The size of the squares determine the thickness of your braids. You can choose to make jumbo, medium, or small braids.
Best Blonde Braids on Black Hair Tools
- ✅4 IN 1 HAIR BRUSH SET: This is a detangler brush and comb set which include 4 kinds of brushes and combs. Paddle brush, styling brush, wide tooth comb and tail comb. The best hair brush can meet your different hair care needs.
Step 5: Braid
After preparing and sectioning your natural hair and the synthetic blonde hair that you will use, you are now ready to make the blonde braids on block hair. You can either choose to do traditional box braids or knotless braids.
How to make blonde box braids on black hair for beginners?
If you choose the traditional blonde box braids on black hair, follow the instructions below.
- Take one of the square sections of your hair. Comb and apply conditioning gel.
- Tie this section using an elastic band.
- Fold your synthetic blonde hair in half to create two strands.
- Lay the synthetic blonde hair on top of the natural hair. The natural hair should be in the middle.
- Weave the right side synthetic blonde hair over the middle natural hair.
- Then weave the left side synthetic blonde hair over the middle natural hair.
- Continue braiding until an inch before the end of the natural hair.
- Take a portion of one of the strands of the synthetic blonde hair and add it to the section of the natural hair to make it longer.
- Continue braiding until the end.
- Secure your blonde box braid on black hair with an elastic band.
How to make your blonde knotless braids on black hair?
If you choose the blonde knotless braids on black hair, follow the instructions below.
- Take one of the square sections of your hair.
- Divide the hair into three equal parts.
- Create two braids. To do this, weave the right side over the middle and then the left side over the middle. Repeat the process.
- Attach a thin strand of the synthetic blonde hair to your natural hair and create two braids.
- Again, attach another thin strand of synthetic blonde hair and create two braids.
- Repeat the process until you attach a total of 4 to 6 thin strands of blonde synthetic hair.
- Apply conditioning styling gel and brush both the natural and synthetic blonde hair as you braid.
- Braid the hair together all the way down.
- Secure your knotless braid with elastic bands.
Best Blonde Braids on Black Hair Conditioning and Styling Gel
- Free of alcohol, parabens, wax, petrolatum and silicones.
Step 5: Repeat the process
Repeat the same process until you finish making all your blonde braids.
Blonde Braids on Black Hair Care Tips
Once you get your blonde box braids or blonde knotless braids, it is time to take good care of it. Here are some tips to help you keep this protective hairstyle in good condition.
Wash your blonde braids on black hair once every 2 weeks. It is important to remove the dirt, oil, and other impurities to prevent hair build up. I recommend sulfate-free shampoo with mild cleansing formula for the scalp and hair.
Best Blonde Braids on Black Hair Shampoo
- Carol's daughter wash day delight micellar shampoo with rose water transforms from a water to a gentle foam lather for a deep clean without stripping or harsh friction to help cut down time on wash day
After washing your scalp and hair, make sure to towel dry, air dry, and even blow dry your blonde braids on black hair. If not, your hair can develop molds and foul smell.
One thing to watch out for almost all protective hairstyles is drying. That is why it is important to moisturize your scalp and hair as often as needed. Use either a leave-in conditioner or hair oil.
Best Blonde Braids on Black Hair Leave-in Conditioner
- Condition All Day: Keep curls hydrated and healthy looking with Maui Moisture Frizz-Free plus Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioning Mist
Wear Silk Cap or Bonnet
Protect your blonde box braids and knotless braids during sleep. Make sure to wear a silk cap or bonnet to prevent too much tugging and pulling as you roll over in bed.
Best Blonde Braids on Black Hair Silk Cap
- [ 2 PCS LARGE SIZE ] Our 2 PCS large black&red classic color satin bonnet are 15.7inch size with elastic band design suitable for most head sizes and hair style, long braids, braids, frizzy hair, long curly hair, long natural hair and long extensions.
Blonde braids on black hair can last up to 8 weeks. Do not keep this protective hairstyle for far too long. Your hair also needs to breathe and get pampered without the synthetic blonde hair attached to it after some time.
Blonde Braids on Black Hair FAQs
How long do blonde braids on black hair lasts?
Blonde braids on black hair usually lasts for 6 to 8 weeks. Keeping your box braids or knotless braids longer will make your hair prone to more damage and breakage.
How long do blonde knotless braids on black hair take to install?
It takes about 6 to 9 hours to completely install blonde knotless braids on black hair. The time may vary depending on the hair volume and the size of the knotless braids. Remember that the smaller the braids, the more time it takes to finish.
How often should you wash blonde box braids on black hair?
Most professional hairstylists recommend to wash your blonde box braids on black hair every 2 weeks. This allows you to remove the dirt, oil and other impurities that cause hair build up. Make sure that you towel dry, air dry and blow dry your box braids completely after washing to prevent molds and smell.
How long does your hair need to be to make blonde box braids on black hair?
The great thing about blonde box braids on black hair is it is suitable for all hair lengths and all hair types. Whether you have short, medium-length or long hair, you can wear this protective hairstyle.
Make every day a gorgeous hair day with blonde braids on black hair! This classic hairstyle will not only keep your natural hair protected but also looking elevated no matter where you are.
With practice and patience, you definitely do your own blonde box braids or blonde knotless braids on black hair. Just remember to use the proper hairstyling tools and products to help keep your hair clean, fresh, healthy and looking great!