Collagen is a special type of fibrous protein found in the body. It contains 18 amino acids, some of which are essential for human life. Collagen peptides are responsible for renewing the cells of our skin, tendons, joints, nails, eyes, etc.
Collagen is especially popular in the skincare industry. The protein helps renew skin cells and improves the elasticity of the skin, which is why most skincare and anti-aging products focus on supplementing collagen levels in the body.
Collagen is also very useful for hair. Research shows that it can prevent hair loss and improve hair growth in various ways.
If you’re looking for a more potent solution for hair thinning and shedding, you might want to try the revolutionary product Folexin that nourishes your hair and supports its natural growth process..
How Does Collagen Boost Hair Growth?
Prevents Hair Loss Caused by Aging
Studies show that collagen production suffers hugely as we age. This explains various signs, such as wrinkles and sagging of skin. Since the protein is also responsible for renewing cells that are key for hair growth, the decreasing levels of the protein also result in thinning of hair.
Dermatologists explain that 70% of your dermis is made up of collagen. Remember that this is the part of the skin where your hair roots sit. Therefore, as this layer of the skin reduces, your hair roots suffer, leading to thinning hair.
Supplementing collagen helps in maintaining the skin. In turn, the skin provides a solid foundation upon which your hair follicles can flourish.
Protects the Hair Follicles
Collagen provides antioxidant protection, which keeps the hair follicles safe from oxidative stress or free radicals. This covers elements such as smoke, air pollutants, alcohol, and other compounds that are known to be very harmful not just to your hair, but to other cells in the body as well.
Various lab tests have shown that collagen can fight free radicals and provide the much-needed protection that your hair needs to get strong, full, and long.
Stimulates Hair Growth by Providing Amino Acids
Collagen contains 3 primary amino acids, glycine, hydroxyproline, and proline. Proline is the primary building block of Keratin. Keratin is the protein-making up your hair. So, by supplementing proline, collagen gives your body the resource it needs to make up Keratin. In turn, this Keratin improves hair growth.
Can Slow Graying of Hair
Some of the hair graying experienced by some people is due to free radicals. These cause oxidative stress that affects the cells tasked with producing melanin, which gives hair its natural color. As the secretion of the melanin pigments falls, the hair starts to gray.
We’ve already established that collagen provides antioxidant protection. Therefore, it makes sense that it can fight the oxidative stress that’s affecting the production of melanin.
How to Use Collagen for Hair Growth?
You can get collagen through foods or supplements. Taking collagen-rich foods like bone broth is an easy route, but it’s also the longest approach. On the other hand, collagen supplements allow you to use just the right amount of collagen that you need to get the results you want. The supplements are available in both powder and capsule form.
Best Collagen for Hair Growth
The beauty of using the best Collagen supplements is you can always expect to get more than you want. As I pointed out earlier, collagen is responsible for the renewal of different cells in the body, all of which are affected when the production of this protein drops.
Here are the best collagen supplements on the market at the moment:
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides comes from pasture-raised and grass-fed bovine. This allows the manufacturer to get the protein in its highest quality making the supplement effective and safe. The manufacturer, Vital proteins, has gone a step further to add Vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid. These boost the natural production of collagen even further.
Besides boosting hair growth, the supplement will also improve your skin, joints, and nails.
The supplement is very bioavailable, so it’s easy to digest and absorb efficiently.
How to Use
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides is available in powdered form. It’s also soluble in both hot and cold liquids, making it very easy and fun to use.
- You could mix it up with a hot beverage like coffee and tea or a cold drink like a smoothie or shake.
- Use 1-2 scoops per day.
- Bioavailable Collagen Peptides Powder ---- Sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine to ensure a high quality and sustainable source of this powerful ingredient. Digested and absorbed by the body quickly for maximum benefits.
Collagen Peptides Powder
Collagen Peptides Powder from Sports Research Store has an average of 4.6 out of 5 rating after a staggering 30,000+ reviews! That, by itself, tells you how impressive this product is.
The supplement contains hydrolyzed type I and II collagen made from Bovine. It is tested and certified as a non-GMO product by IGEN. It has also been verified by the Paleo and Keto Foundation.
The supplement reverses various signs of aging. It will improve your hair, skin, bones, cartilage, tendon, and joints.
How to Use
- Just like our top pick, this particular supplement also works with both cold and hot drinks. This should make you flexible in choosing the method of consumption.
- The manufacturer also claims that you can include it in your baking, so don’t be afraid to add a scoop of Collagen Peptides the next time you are making some pancakes.
- Use 1 scoop per day.
- Collagen is one of the most important nutrients needed to ensure the health and vitality of your skin, hair, tendon, cartilage, bones, and joints. Around the age of 30, our bodies naturally begin to produce less collagen, and the first signs of aging start to occur.
Youtheory Collagen Advanced with Vitamin C
Youtheory Collagen Advanced is formulated with collagen and Vitamin C. The supplement revitalizes hair, skin, and nails to give you a youthful glow. It also supports tendons and ligaments.
Youtheory Collagen Advanced does not contain any gluten, dairy, soy, or other fillers and additives that can be problematic to your health.
How to Use
- Unlike our two picks above, this one comes in tablet form. You are directed to take six tablets per day. These can be taken at once or divided into 2-3 servings.
- One of the major drawbacks of this supplement is the high number of tablets that you have to take in a day. This can be an issue for some people.
- Collagen Peptides with Vitamin C: Collagen diminishes with age. Youtheory Collagen Advanced with Vitamin C helps replenish this vital protein to fight the effects of aging by revitalizing skin, hair, nails, tendons and ligaments.
Even though experts call for additional studies, the available evidence from trails and other users shows how beneficial supplementing collagen is. And the best part is you can never go wrong with a good collagen supplement because they produce various benefits without putting the users in grave danger.
Pregnant and nursing mothers are directed to consult a physician before using these supplements. Anyone else with a preexisting medical condition should also get in touch with a medical practitioner before using collagen supplements.