In recent years, men’s grooming has evolved and transformed. Men can now express themselves through their style and look good while at it.
Today, more men are exploring and embracing more styles, putting more effort into their looks, and engaging in more self-care practices, and one of them, which we will be focusing on today, is hair.
In this list of braid hairstyles for men, we will explore the evolution of men’s grooming and how hairstyles enable men to explore, express themselves and show their personality. This article also provides simple braid hairstyles for men.
The Evolution of Men’s Grooming
The advancement of men’s grooming has unfolded before our eyes. There is a societal perception about certain styles or self-care practices being for women alone, and they are being proven wrong as more men are embracing more styles and looking great while at it!
This advancement is present in how some male celebrities, influencers, and public figures wear their hair in different styles, and this representation is important because these are the people we see on television, billboards, and social media. They serve as an inspiration to many men out there.
Celebrities such as Asap Rocky, Snoop Dogg, Travis Scott, Lil Yachty, Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, etc., have been spotted wearing different braid styles on different occasions, and some of them are even recognized with certain hairstyles as their signature, unique look.
7 Braid Hairstyles for Men
As a man, you should be able to wear your hair however you want and be confident in it, and if you do not know where to start, some stylish options have been provided for you in this article. The focus today is on braid hairstyles, and these men’s hairstyles can be achieved with most hair types, with men with a taper cut, men wanting to grow out their hair, or black men with thin hair, needing some protective style options.
1. Pop Smoke Braids
These pop smoke braids are named after the famous rapper Pop Smoke, who wore this as his signature hairstyle. This stylish look is a popular choice if you want to grow out your sides, as they would cover them. It is a simple braided hairstyle but would leave a great impression.
2. Mini Braids
Mini braids are great if you want a hairstyle that lasts for a good period. Mini braids look great on long and short hair and can be styled and worn differently. Mini braids are also great because they are low maintenance and last two to four weeks.
3. Stitch Braids
Stitch braids are a style of braids where lines are created at the sides of the braids to emulate stitches. Stitch braids can be done with different styles, such as straight backs, half braids, half cornrows, pop smoke braids, etc. Any of these styles can be done without braiding hair, and if you choose to add braiding hair, it can be fed in, and minimal sizes can be used to create a natural and seamless look.
4. Mini Twists
Mini twists are a super stylish hairstyle for men, and they can never go out of style. One of the great benefits of keeping your hair in mini twists is that you can still have wash days and apply your favorite products to promote growth and keep your hair healthy. Also, If you want to start your loc journey, mini twists are great for starting. Mini twists are low maintenance and can save you a good amount of time from your daily routine.
5. Straight back braids with beads
If one of your goals for your style is to keep it simple, getting straight-back braids is a great hairstyle choice, and beads or any hair jewelry for braids can be added to any hair type to elevate the look. There are various bead styles, and you can choose the one that suits your style. Straight-back braids would give you an instant facelift and keep your hair looking good for a long time.
6. Half cornrows, half braids
Half cornrows and half braids are also a stylist hairstyle for men with thick hair. It is a hairstyle you can play around with and freestyle to your taste or personal preference. Some intricate designs can be added to the cornrows, and you can add braids or twists at the other half.
7. Two Cornrow Braids
Two cornrow braids are a great choice for a quick and easy style! As the name implies, it’s just two cornrow braids made on both sides of the hair. Due to the amount of hair slicked at both sides, a little extra effort is required to maintain this hairstyle. Ensure both sides of the head are brushed every morning to keep them neat, and always wear a durag or bonnet before you sleep. You can add a little gel to refresh the slicked sides if necessary.
Maintenance and Care Tips
Braiding your hair and abandoning it afterward is like enrolling in school and not doing any work. We all know the outcome of such an action, right? Now that we have explored some interesting men’s braids hairstyle options, it does not end there. Maintaining and caring for your hair while in protective styles is important; consistency is critical, and these tips keep you on the right track!
Essential Products and Items You Need
- Shampoo & conditioner: these are the essentials you need for your wash days in case you cannot go to a salon every time. A shampoo is needed to remove dirt from the hair, and a conditioner is used to keep the hair moisturized and soft.
- Hairbrush: is used to keep your edges smooth and tame any flyaways.
- Oil & oil applicator: if your oil bottle does not come with an applicator, you can put the oil into an applicator and apply oil to your scalp to avoid dryness and promote hair growth.
- A durag/ silk scarf: either should be worn when you want to sleep to protect your hair and reduce frizzing. If worn correctly, a durag can’t cause hair loss.
- Avoid over-manipulation while you have braids in.
- If you have a taper cut, go to the barbing salon to freshen up your cut after getting braids.
- Always wear a durag/ silk scarf or bonnet when you want to sleep.
- Oil your scalp every two to three days to prevent dryness and itchiness.
- Blow-drying your hair before getting braids can make your braids come out neater and enable them last longer. You can do this yourself or request the service at the salon. This is also an optional step.
- If you have a braids style with just your natural hair, you can use a leave-in conditioner to dampen them if your braids look dry.
- Avoid keeping your braids in for too long, as there could be buildups, and your hair may get matted.
- Lastly, let your hair and scalp breathe in between getting new hairstyles.
It is essential to ensure that men have various braid hairstyles for men options they can choose from to explore their unique personalities and express themselves through their style. Inclusivity in men’s grooming options should always be promoted, and people that provide these services in the beauty industry should learn different ways to style men’s hair and cater adequately to men’s grooming so that everyone can feel important and included in all beauty services.
Taiwo is a website content writer and a hairstylist specializing in protective hairstyles. She owns a hairstyling business based in Lagos, where she creates content and markets through social media. Check out her Youtube channel, Stylistondutyng, where you can see her passion for braids in her videos.