There’s a lot of weird information about Kombucha Hair Tonics and the benefits of Kombucha for hair. In this article, we’ll let you know what Kombucha is, discuss its benefits for your hair and teach you how to use it to get soft and shiny hair!
What is Kombucha
Kombucha is a popular fermented beverage made from green or sweetened black tea. It has a fizzy and lightly sweet and sour taste but sometimes it’s also mixed with other spices, fruits and other flavorings to make it more palatable. Since the discovery of the major health benefits of probiotics and the keto diet, Kombucha has become one of the most famous health beverage today.
For thousand of years, Kombucha has been created and drank because of its health benefits. To be able to produce this drink, you just need 3 ingredients: yeast, sugar, and black/green tea. The fermentation process will yield some acetic acid, the main reason why this drink has a sour and zesty taste. In addition to that, the fermentation process also promotes the proliferation of good bacteria/probiotics in the beverage. And these two byproducts have so many health benefits making this drink one of the most popular beverage nowadays.
Benefits of Kombucha for Hair
If you are a hair addict, then you are familiar with apple cider vinegar’s hair benefits too. Just like apple cider vinegar, Kombucha has some amounts of acetic acid. And acetic acid greatly benefits your hair because of its antimicrobial properties. It can greatly help in cleaning your hair and scalp and preventing the growth of bacteria, fungi or dandruff. In addition to that, acetic acid is the main ingredient in some hair straightening products. That’s why if you want a more natural way to straighten your hair for a day or temporarily, Kombucha or a diluted apple cider vinegar solution is a great choice for you!
Another byproduct of fermentation is gluconic acid. Gluconic acid is not only a popular chelating agent that helps remove toxins from the body, it also promotes the growth of probiotics or good bacteria. Studies have shown that consumption of probiotics greatly benefits not only the skin but hair growth as well. In addition to that, these probiotics in Kombucha produces several vitamins essential for your overall health including Vitamin Bs and C.
Green tea and Black tea have lots of health benefits too. And because Kombucha’s primary ingredient is either of these two, you may also reap the benefits of these teas aside from the two that we’ve mentioned above. The antioxidants in green/black tea have bioactive compounds that improves body and brain function. It also help prevent several diseases that causes hair loss. In addition to that, it has been reported that some of the compounds in green tea like epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) prevents androgenetic alopecia and stimulates hair growth.
Kombucha helps in many, many ways for your personal health. Luckily, Kombucha is very easy to make.
How to Make Kombucha for Hair
- Make a tea from your favorite green/black tea leaves.
- Add a Yeast Starter and transfer to a clean jar.
- Cover with clean woven cloth and secure with a rubber band
- Ferment for 7-10 days or until all the sugar is consumed.
- You can make this process faster by adding 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Once the fermentation process is finished, add herbs, flavorings, juices according to your preference.
If you’re looking for Kombucha starter kits, here are the best selling products you can buy on Amazon today.
- MADE BY KOMBUCHA BREWERS FOR KOMBUCHA BREWERS: This kit has everything you need to start brewing your own kombucha at home. Our best in the industry kombucha cultures, equipment, and instruction will turn you into a kombucha-brewing rockstar in no time.
- ★ USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC SCOBY ★ Our cultures are Organic & Kosher, grown in our fully licensed lab. Quality is our priority!
- 💯EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR YOUR FIRST BATCH - Our Deluxe Kombucha Starter Kit comes fully loaded with everything you need to get started crafting your own healthy home brew kombucha. Including: 1 kombucha SCOBY with 1.5 cups of kombucha starter tea, our blend of organic black and green teas, 1 cup organic cane sugar, 1 gallon glass kombucha jar with plastic lid, muslin cloth cover, secure band, Ph test strips, temperature gauge, and instructions. Six airtight, flip top glass bottles included!
How to Use Kombucha for Hair
Because Kombucha is less acidic compared to vinegar, it can be used daily as a hair tonic after your shampoo ritual. To use it:
- Dilute your Kombucha tea with 50% water.
- Apply and massage it to your scalp and let it stay for a while.
- Rinse lightly and enjoy your day. Just like an apple cider vinegar hair tonic, Kombucha’s smell will go away as your hair dries.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kombucha for Hair
Is Kombucha good for your hair?
Kombucha has a lot of benefits not only for your hair but for your overall health too. As we’ve mentioned in this article, it has antimicrobial properties that prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and dandruff. In addition to that, when taken internally, it provides nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants that are essential in growing a health hair.
Does Kombucha help regrow hair?
Kombucha has probiotics, vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants that can promote hair growth. But there are more powerful products and supplements like Folexin that can help you regrow your hair much faster. Aside from that, reducing your stress, avoiding pollutants and toxins, providing essential nutrients to your body and maintaining overall health can also help in regrowing your hair.
Can you wash hair with kombucha?
Kombucha has been used by thousands of men and women to help grow beautiful shiny hairs. In fact, a lot of hair products are coming out today that has kombucha as their main ingredient. Here are some of them:
- SMOOTH SATIN ELASTIC SCRUNCHIES. Keep your hair healthy and strong with satin scrunchies. Prevent breakage, frizz, ponytail bumps and split ends with these damage-free, softer than silk hair ties.
- OUR HAIR CARE PROMISE: Love Beauty and Planet Clarifying and Nourished Shine Black Tea Kombucha & Red Ginger Silicone Free Conditioner provides clarification and care to leave hair soft and shiny.
How do you use Kombucha on your hair?
You can use Kombucha after your daily shampoo routine. Just apply and massage a diluted solution to your hair and scalp. You can let it stay for a while and rinse lightly afterwards.