A smooth glide epilator is a dream for every woman who wants hair-free and satin-smooth skin that lasts for a long time!
In this article, I will focus and review my top three smooth glide epilators for women. But before that, I will first discuss what an epilator is and the difference between epilator vs. electric shaver. Towards the end, I will answer frequently asked questions regarding epilators and epilating.
If you are a man looking for excellent epilating devices, please feel free to check this article on the best epilator products for men.
Smooth Glide Epilator Preview[amazon box=”B06WGLSRPZ,B07YSW6NMW,B07ZHZ4WVV” title_length=”100″ template=”table”]
What is an Epilator?
An epilator is a hand-held hair removal device with built-in micro tweezers or discs that uproot unwanted hair on the face and body. On average, an epilator has forty to seventy tweezers, allowing it to pluck multiple hairs from the roots on a single pass. An epilator is an excellent hair removal option for a hair-free and smooth skin finish.
Epilator Vs. Electric Shaver
On the other hand, an electric shaver is a hand-held hair removal device that uses blades to trim unwanted hair close to the skin surface. An electric shaver has oscillating or rotating blades that cut hair like scissors. Electric shavers have safety features that prevent blades from directly touching the skin to protect against nicks and cuts.
Use epilators and electric shavers for legs, arms, and armpits. Epilators and electric shavers are battery-operated or rechargeable via a cord or stand.
Epilator Vs. Electric Shaver: Pros and Cons
To learn more about the differences between an epilator and an electric shaver, I will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each hair removal device.
Epilator Pros and Cons
1. It takes longer before hair regrows. The best advantage of using an epilator is it takes longer before hair regrows. Since an epilator removes hair from the roots, it can take a month before a new batch of hair grows. Consequently, you will need to epilate less frequently.
2. You can expect thinner and less hair regrowth. After using an epilator, you will notice that hair regrowth is thinner. It is because new hair is relatively finer. If you epilate consistently, there is a high chance that hair regrowth becomes less over time.
3. It provides a smooth skin finish. Many prefer an epilator because it leaves a hair-free and smooth skin finish. Whereas electric shaver only trims and leaves bits of hair on the skin’s surface.
4. It is portable. Epilators are small and compact devices, making them easy to pack and take anywhere you travel.
1. Epilating is not pain-free. One of the downsides of using an epilator is it can be a little painful, especially for first-time shavers. That is why it is crucial to choose a top-grade smooth glide epilator. This device removes hair quickly and effectively with just a few passes, making the experience less painful.
2. It may irritate the skin. The force of uprooting multiple hairs all at once may cause mild skin irritation and pore inflammation. It is a common side effect. Expect the symptoms to subside after a few hours.
3. Epilating can take more time to remove unwanted hair. Epilating can consume more time for people with low pain tolerance. Some take a few breaks to let the sensations subside before continuing the process.
Electric Shaver Pros and Cons
1. It is safer. Electric shavers have sharp blades that cut hair fast. They also have safety features that ensure less skin contact of the blades to the skin. Since electric shavers do not disturb the hair roots attached to the skin, they are less likely to cause skin irritation.
2. Shaving is painless. The best advantage of using an electric shaver is it causes minimal to no pain. Cutting or trimming the hair close to the skin surface does not hurt as much as uprooting the hair. It is also why many prefer electric shavers for first-timers and teenage girls.
3. It is quick and easy to use. Another excellent advantage of electric shavers is they are quick and easy to use. High-quality electric shavers can sweep away hair on the skin surface in a single pass without leaving nicks and cuts. Since they are also pain-free, you can glide them continuously. There is no need to pause to let the pain subside.
4. An electric shaver is suitable for wet and dry use. Like epilators, you can use electric shavers in and out of the shower, with or without shaving creams, depending on your preference.
5. It is portable. Electric shavers have small and compact designs. They come in handy during travels.
1. Hair grows back faster. The main drawback of using an electric shaver is the hair tends to regrow quickly. You will use an electric shaver about twice every week to maintain a hair-free and smooth skin.
2. Improper maintenance may cause skin irritation. You must replace the blades regularly to ensure safety. Dull blades require more pressure and several passes to cut hair, often leading to skin irritation.
3. It does not leave the skin as smooth as an epilator. An epilator is superior to an electric shaver when it comes to results. Since electric shavers only trim, they tend to leave tiny bits of hair on the skin’s surface.
Best Smooth Glide Epilator Reviews
Braun Epilator Silk-Epil 3[amazon box=”B06WGLSRPZ” title_length=”50″ class=”intro-product-image” image_size=”large” template=”widget”]
The Braun Epilator Silk-Epil 3 is the best-selling epilator for a good reason. This hair removal device has all the features you need in an epilator for an affordable price!
The Braun Epilator Silk-Epil 3 comes with three different detachable heads. While it is mainly for epilating, you can attach the shaver and trimmer heads for shaving and trimming purposes. These alternate heads are excellent for grooming sensitive areas like the pubic region.
The epilator head has a 20-tweezer system that efficiently captures even the tiniest hair. The smart-light technology features allow you to see the areas you are passing so you won’t miss a spot.
Like any epilating device, Braun Epilator Silk-Epil 3 can also be painful, especially during the first few uses. You will get used to the sensation after a while. The massage rollers help soothe the pain. Hold and glide the device at a ninety-degree angle to the skin to lessen the discomfort.
The body of this device fits perfectly on the palm, making it easy to hold. I advise you to start with the slow speed setting and adjust as you get used to epilating.
It takes an hour to charge this device fully, and the battery lasts thirty minutes.
Features: 3-in-1 Epilator, Shaver, and Trimmer Heads | Smart Light Technology | 20 Tweezer System | Massage Rollers | 2-Speed Settings | It comes with a cleaning brush and rechargeable cord
Pros: Excellent features, efficiently removes hair on different body areas, outstanding user reviews, affordable
Cons: The device can be a bit loud, and the built-in light is a little weak.
Bottom line: Overall, the best smooth glide epilator for all ages.
Philips Satinelle Epilator[amazon box=”B07YSW6NMW” title_length=”50″ class=”intro-product-image” image_size=”large” template=”widget”]
The Philips Satinelle Epilator is an excellent choice for first-timers! It is the most affordable option, and it delivers quality results.
The Philips Satinelle Epilator’s features and design are straightforward and simple. The body is oval-shaped. It fits steadily on the palms, allowing you to hold and glide the device without causing wrist fatigue.
Meanwhile, the head is detachable, allowing you to wash after use. It has a delicate area cap that protects the skin surface, especially tricky areas like underarms and bikini zones. The epilating system has 21 discs that grip and pull out hair fast.
Like any other epilating device, the Philips Satinelle Epilator is also painful to use. I recommend that you exfoliate the night before epilating to lessen the discomfort. Use the slow speed setting for a more gentle epilating experience.
Overall, this product effectively removes hair on different body areas. The design is simple and easy to use.
Features: Corded Epilator | 21 Discs System | Delicate Area Cap | 2-Speed Settings | Ergonomic Grip
Pros: Affordable, simple, easy to use, effectively removes hair
Cons: Since this device is corded, it is not as easy to maneuver as the cordless options.
Bottom line: Most affordable smooth glide epilator for legs, arms, underarms, and bikini region.
Braun Epilator Silk-Epil 9[amazon box=”B07ZHZ4WVV” title_length=”50″ class=”intro-product-image” image_size=”large” template=”widget”]
The Braun Epilator Silk-Epil 9 makes it my top three best smooth glide epilators because of its excellent features and superior technology.
I highly recommend the Braun Epilator Silk-Epil 9 to everyone who wants an all-in-one hair removal, trimming, and grooming device. While it is primarily for epilating, it also comes with two detachable heads for shaving and trimming. I find the shaver and trimmer useful for tackling sensitive areas like bikini zones.
This Braun epilator model has twice as much tweezer system, allowing it to remove more hairs faster. The epilating head is wider, covering more surface area in a single pass.
It has a pressure guide system that lights red to indicate the right amount of pressure on the skin. This device also has a high-frequency massage cap to lessen the pain from epilating. Yes, epilating with this device hurts, especially on the first try. But it will get better after a few times.
The body of this device is different compared to other Braun epilators. It has a slim grip that is easy to maneuver. The smart light technology allows you to see the areas you are epilating, which is a huge plus!
This device is a rechargeable cordless epilator. It takes an hour to charge and about an hour to use. Lastly, you can use the Braun Epilator Silk-Epil 9 in the shower because it is 100% waterproof.
Features: 3-in-1 Epilator, Shaver, and Trimmer Heads | Smart Light Technology | 40 Micro-grip Tweezer System | High-Frequency Massage Cap | Pressure Guide | 100% Waterproof | 2-Speed Settings | It comes with a cleaning brush and rechargeable cord
Pros: Advanced epilating features, superior massage and pressure guide technology, efficiently removes hair on different body areas, outstanding user reviews
Cons: This epilating device is pricey compared to other options.
Bottom line: Top rate smooth glide epilator for women.
What Is A Smooth Glide Epilator?
A smooth glide epilator is a hand-held hair removal device. It has built-in micro-tweezers or small discs that grip and pluck multiple hairs from the roots. The smooth-glide feature allows the epilator to contour easily on the skin and remove hair quickly.
How Does A Smooth Glide Epilator Work?
A smooth glide epilator contains rotating discs or micro-tweezers. As they come in contact with the skin, these discs or tweezers grip and pull out the hair from the roots.
How To Use A Smooth Glide Epilator?
To use a smooth glide epilator, follow the steps below:
- Plug the device into an electric outlet or ensure the battery is full.
- Turn the power button on.
- Hold the smooth glide epilator at a ninety-degree angle to the skin, facing against the direction of hair growth.
- Slowly and gently glide the epilator to remove unwanted hair. Take your time and make sure to cover the entire skin area.
- Turn off the device after use.
- Wash, dry, and disinfect the head of the epilator using a cotton ball with alcohol.
- Soothe your skin with an aloe vera gel or gentle moisturizer.
Who Makes Smooth Glide Epilators?
The most trusted brands that make smooth glide epilators are Braun, Philips, and Panasonic.
How To Put Batteries In A Smooth Glide Epilator?
Most battery-operated smooth glide epilators are rechargeable. Attach the cord to the device and plug the other end into an electric outlet until the battery is full.
Where To Buy A Smooth Glide Epilator?
You can buy a smooth glide epilator on Amazon. See and click the links below to get the best deals.[amazon box=”B06WGLSRPZ,B07YSW6NMW,B07ZHZ4WVV” title_length=”100″ template=”table”]
A smooth glide epilator is an affordable, practical, and long-term solution for removing unwanted hair. This hand-held and battery-operated device uproots multiple hairs fast, leaving the skin smooth and hair-free. It takes about a month for new hairs to regrow, and they come out thinner and lesser after months of consistent use.
Although smooth glide epilators are efficient at pulling out hair from the roots, they may cause pain and mild irritation on the skin. First-time users can expect to get accustomed to the sensation over time. Redness and mild irritation should also subside a few hours after epilating.
I hope the review above helped you decide which epilator device to buy.
Diana used to work as an Assistant Salon Manager in Los Angeles, CA before she started writing for Union of Barbers. With over 10 years of experience, she has tried hundreds of hair care products and has seen, styled, and treated all types of hair. Now, she shares all of the things she has learned in the hair industry and gives advice on everything about hair. When she’s not writing, you can find Diana at the beach on her yoga mat!